Education & Working Experience
June 2016 – till to now Assistant professor, Environmental Engineering, USTB
June 2016 – June 2018 Postdoctoral Assistant School of Materials Science and Engineering, USTB Department of Inorganic Nonmetallic Materials Prof. Wenbin Cao
Topic: Degradation of antibiotic and inactivation of pathogen by photocatalysis using N-TiO2 under visible light
Sep 2010 – June 2016 Doctor USTB, Department of Environmental Engineering, Prof. Zifu Li
Thesis: Investigation on ultrasound enhancement effects for WWTP’s secondary effluents disinfection
Sep 2006 – June 2010 Bachelor,USTB, Department of Environmental Engineering,Prof. Zifu Li
Thesis: Design of household grey water treatment system in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
USTB, Bachelor Course in Environment Engineering, Wastewater Treatment Technology
Supervision of bachelor, Assistant supervision of master and PhD theses
1. Research on the removal mechanism and behavior of the antibiotic resistance genes in secondary effluents by ultrasound-UVLED disinfection, funded by Beijing Natural Science Foundation. To develop US/UV combined technology to remove ARB and ARG in secondary effluents.
2. Reinvent the Toilet China Project: Innovative Toilet Solutions and Commercial Activities，funded by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. To support the development of commercial innovative toilet solutions to be fully compliant with Reinvented Toilet specifications.
3. Research Activities for RTTC, funded by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation-To conduct research activities and perform technical assistance in support of Reinvented Toilet field testing and systems operation in China, India and Africa
4. Integrated Application of New Innovated Technology for Urban domestic Water Saving（YS2017YFSF020027）, funded by National Key Research and Development Program of China-To develop water saving toilet by using vacuum technology and sewage.
5. Reinvent the Toilet Challenge China, funded by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation-To select and organize the sub-grantees in China for eco-toilet invention.
6. Design, Construction and Monitoring of Fecal Sludge-Fed Industrial Biogas Plant in Africa, funded by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation-To support the fecal sludge treatment technology in Burkina Faso.
7. The Develop of Photocatalysis for Wastewater Treatment using N-doped TiO2, funded by Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities-To develop photocatalysis technologies using N-dope TiO2 for wastewater disinfection and antibiotics removal.
8. Improved biogas process with enhanced nitrogen recovery for green fertilizer production, funded by National Key Research and Development Program of China 2016 Sino-Austria Government Bilateral Science Research Program. To establish a stable AD process accepting N-rich substrates (chicken waste, slaughterhouse waste, pig manure) by testing and comparing two nitrogen removal technologies (stripping and membrane contactor). By reducing the ammonia concentration in the reactor methane producing microorganisms will be less inhibited and high COD removal rates as well as high specific methane yield can be observed. Project assistant from both technical and financial sides.
9. Study on Efficiency and Mechanisms of an Ultrasound Enhanced Wastewater Photocatalytic Disinfection, funded by China Postdoctoral Science Foundation-To develop an enhanced photocatalysis disinfection technology for wastewater disinfection and explain its mechanism
Main journal publications：
1. Yu, P., Zhou, X.*, Yan, Y, Li, Z., Inactivation and change of tetracycline-resistant Escherichia coli in secondary effluent by visible light-driven photocatalytic process using Ag/AgBr/g-C3N4[J]. Science of the Total Environment,2020,705,135639.
2. Yan Y., Zhou, X.*, Yu P., Li Z., Zheng, T., Characteristics, mechanisms and bacteria behavior of photocatalysis with a solid Z-scheme Ag/AgBr/g-C3N4 nanosheet in water disinfection[J]. Applied Catalysis A: General.2020,590:117282.
3. Jin, X, Zhou, X*., Sun, P., Lin, S., Cao, W., Li, Z., Liu, W., Photocatalytic degradation of norfloxacin using N-doped TiO2: Optimization, mechanism, identification of intermediates and toxicity evaluation[J]. Chemosphere.2019,237:124433.
4. Yu, P., Zhou, X.*, Yan,Y, Li, Z., Zheng, T., Enhanced visible-light-driven photocatalytic disinfection using AgBr- T modified g-C3N4 composite and its mechanism [J]. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2019, 179:170-179.
5. Yan,Y, Zhou X*.,Lan, J., Li, Z., Zheng,T.,Cao, W., Zhu N., Liu, W., Efficient photocatalytic disinfection of Escherichia coli by N-doped TiO2 coated on coal fly ash cenospheres[J]. Journal of Photochemistry & Photobiology A: Chemistry, 2018,367:355-364.
6. Zhou,X., Li, Z., Zheng,T., Yan,Y.et.al., Review of global sanitation development [J]. Environment International, 2018,120,246-261
7. Zhou, X., Yan, Y., Li, Z., and Yin, J., Disinfection effect of a continuous-flow ultrasound/ultraviolet baffled reactor at a pilot scale [J]. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 2017,37,114–119.
8. Zhou, X., Li, Z., Lan, J., Yan, Y., and Zhu, N., Kinetics of inactivation and photoreactivation of Escherichia coli using ultrasound-enhanced UV-C light-emitting diodes disinfection [J]. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 2017,35, 471–477.
9. Zhou, X., Li, Y., Li, Z., Xi, Y., Nazim Uddin, S. M., and Zhang, Y., Investigation on microbial inactivation and urea decomposition in human urine during thermal storage [J]. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 2017:142–9.
10. Zhou, X., Li, Z., Staddon, C., Wu, X., and Song, H., Issues and challenges of reclaimed water usage: a case study of the dragon-shaped river in the Beijing Olympic Park [J]. Water International,2017,42(4)486-494.
11. Zhou, X., Zhao, J., Li, Z., Lan, J., Li, Y., Yang, X. and Wang, D., Influence of ultrasound enhancement on chlorine dioxide consumption and disinfection by-products formation for secondary effluents disinfection [J]. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 2016,28:376-381.
12. Zhou, X., Zhao, J., Li, Z., Song, J., Li, X., Yang, X. and Wang, D., Enhancement effects of ultrasound on secondary wastewater effluent disinfection by sodium hypochlorite and disinfection by-products analysis [J]. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 2016,29:60-66.
13. Zhou, X., Guo, H., Li, Z., Zhao, J. and Yun, Y., Experimental study on the disinfection efficiencies of a continuous-flow ultrasound/ultraviolet baffled reactor [J]. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 2015,27:81-86.
14. Zhou, X., Li, Z., Zhao, R., Gao, R., Yun, Y., Saino, M. and Wang, X., Experimental comparisons of three submerged plants for reclaimed water purification through nutrient removal [J]. Desalination & Water Treatment, 2016,57(26):12037-12046.
15. Ting L. Zhou X.,Li,Z, Wang,X, SUN J. Effects of liquid digestate pretreatment on biogas production for anaerobic digestion of wheat straw[J]. Bioresource Technology 2019 (280) 345-351,
16. Bai,X., Zhou, X., Li,Z., et al., Properties and applications of biochars derived from different biomass feedstock sources [J]. International Journal of Agricultural and Biological Engineering，2017,10(2)242-250.
17. Yun, Y., Zhou, X., Li, Z., Uddin, S.M.N. and Bai, X., Comparative research on phosphorus removal by pilot scale vertical flow constructed wetlands using steel slag and modified steel slag as substrates [J]. Water Science and Technology, 2015,7(71):996-1003.
18. Odey, E. A., Li, Z., Zhou, X., Kalakodio, L. Fecal sludge management in developing urban centers: a review on the collection, treatment, and composting. Environmental science and pollution research international, 2017, 37(1), 182–12.
19. Odey, E. A., Li, Z., Zhou, X., Yan Y., Optimization of lactic acid fermentation for pathogen inactivation in fecal sludge [J], Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 2018,157,249-254.
20. Odey, E. A., Li, Z., Zhou, X., Yan Y., Locally produced lactic acid bacteria for pathogen inactivation and odor control in fecal sludge [J], Journal of Cleaner Production ,2018,184,798-805.
21. Gao, R., Li, Z., Zhou, X., Cheng, S. et.al.,Oleaginous yeast Yarrowia lipolytica culture with synthetic and food waste-derived volatile fatty acids for lipid production [J], Biotechnology for Biofuels,2017,10,247.
22. Wang, X., Li, Z., Zhou, X., Wang, Q., Wu, Y., Saino, M. and Bai, X. Study on the bio-methane yield and microbial community structure in enzyme enhanced anaerobic co-digestion of cow manure and corn straw. Bioresource Technology, 219, 150-157.
23. Yin, F., Li, Z., Zhou, X., Bai, X. and Lian, J. Effects of temperature and relative humidity on the methane permeability rate of biogas storage membranes [J]. International Journal of Green Energy. 2016,12(9), 951-956.
24. Jia.S., Z. Li, X Zhou, X. Wang, T Liu, S. Cheng.,Investigation on methane yield of wheat husk anaerobic digestion and its enhancement effect by liquid digestate pretreatment [J]. Anaerobe, 2019,59:92-99.
25. Wang, X., Li, Z., Bai, X., Zhou, X., Cheng, S., Gao, R., and Sun, J. Study on improving anaerobic co-digestion of cow manure and corn straw by fruit and vegetable waste Methane production and microbial community in CSTR process. Bioresource Technology, 2018, 249, 290–297.